Monday, March 30, 2009

Trumble


My dear friend and colleague Lyn Bell Rose has this morning brought to my attention the curious fact that the Indesign computer program “check spelling” tool proffers the following substitutions for “Trumble”:
Tremble
Trombone
True-blue
Turmoil
Troublous
Tremolo
Tumbleweed
and, satisfactorily, Tumbrel/Tumbril
She comments, “You can’t make this stuff up,” but adds, “well, O.K., we can’t, but computer programmers obviously can, and do.” Which brings to mind the irritating fact that when I worked at the Art Gallery of South Australia in Adelaide, the version of the Microsoft Word program that was then current urged each and every one of my colleagues who happened for whatever reason to type my name into a document to alter it to “Anus Tremble.” My tactfully worded letter of protest to Mr. Bill Gates obviously either went astray, or to Sullivan and Cromwell in case a restraining order should become necessary. However, I am fortunate in life to share the general outlook of mehitabel the cat: “i m toujours gai toujours gai / i know that i am bound / for a journey down the sound / in the midst of a refuse mound / but wotthehell wotthehell...”

No comments:

Post a Comment